Popcorn therapy is a kind of intervention for relationships and marriages where the main instrument is simply watching movies. And, it actually works! It might be puzzling hearing that watching movies and eating popcorn can fix a broken relationship but give it a chance. Here’s everything you need to know about it.
How Popcorn Therapy Works
A research published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology reported that popcorn therapy has actually helped newlywed couples from materializing a divorce. The premise is that couples undergo a total of 15 hours of small-group intervention sessions where they were made to watch films from a specified list of romance flicks.
The films have intimate relationships in the major plot. After the movie, the couples were made to discuss the movie, following standard guide questions. The result was that among more than 100 couples who underwent the popcorn therapy, only 11% of them went to through divorce. This is compared to those who haven’t undergone the therapy, which registered at 24%.
Why Popcorn Therapy Works
- You get to reflect and identify with the characters in the movies.
- You are given examples of what you can do regarding these situations if you have a similar problem. You might also be able to anticipate your partner’s reactions based on the movie.
- You get to analyze your relationship vis a vis the characters’ stories. Did the characters have a strong friendship as well as a support system? You get to see what’s lacking in yours based on what you have watched.
- While the movie is scripted, we also know that the script was penned by writers who also experienced and were inspired by human emotions and relationships. So you get to see how the on-screen couple handles arguments as well differences of opinion.
- The couple gets to see how the on-screen couple deals with a problem. They learn techniques on how to bring up an issue and how to find solutions to it. They might even find their exact problems being dealt with in the movie.
- Movies are also great inspirations at how couples should handle hurt feelings.
Many of the love stories in movies have a great plot and were written very well. They resonate with many people’s relationship problems. It is no wonder why popcorn therapy really works in fixing both relationships and marriages. The great thing is, if you met your partner online and are in a long-distance relationship, you can use popcorn therapy to bring you closer together.